Tripbase started a meme about the best-kept travel secrets and it finally made it’s way to our little old blog thanks to Audrey at Uncornered Market. (Audrey and Daniel have been traveling continuously for 3 years already – my heroes! – check out their blog if you haven’t already.)
Tripbase plans to put all of these tips together in a huge list, from great places to go, what and how to pack, and the best ways to travel. Ready for our contribution? Read on.
3 Best-Kept Travel Secrets
- Pay for your trip when you’re on it. I know it is isn’t sexy, but when you come back home you can think of all the great times you had and start saving for your NEXT trip instead of paying off the one you just had. Nothing sours a trip as much as the regret of a hefty credit card bill you can’t pay when you return. We’ve done it both ways – believe me, pay as you go is better.
- Learn to appreciate your mate’s travel style. No, I don’t mean his crazy Hawaiian shirts. I mean the way he likes to travel. For instance, Warren is a planner and I’m more of the spontaneous type. If we didn’t give each other a little leeway on this, we’d be fighting even if we were in paradise (in fact, we have fought about this in both Paris and Maui). When you both adapt a little, you’ll both have a great time – whether you are in Topeka or Timbuktu.
- Pack light. We probably won’t be the only people to say this. I used to be the one at the airport with the big roller bag, more clothes than I could possibly wear (“but I need options!”), and books/iPod/magazines/food for the flight. Jeesh! Now I travel with one backpack no matter how long I’m going to be gone, and it has saved my skin more than once.
- Flight delayed or connection canceled? No problem; my bags aren’t on the plane. I’m the easiest one to rebook.
- Tired after a long day of flying? I can bypass baggage claim and go straight for ground transportation.
- Feeling the need to overpack or overbuy once I get there? Hard to do with the limited space. It forces me to only buy the stuff I really want instead of everything that catches my eye.
Thanks again to Uncornered Market for tagging us. In return, I’m going to ask Move to Portugal, Travellious, Global Citizen Project, Man vs. Debt, and Nerd’s Eye View to share their top 3 Best-Kept Travel Secrets. Once Tripbase posts the final list I’ll update this post with the link.
What is YOUR best-kept travel secret?