Can we have a drum roll, please?
We’ve made our final decision on where to settle down for the winter, and it is…
Wait! Let’s do a quick recap first.
You remember we first talked about settling down for 6 months this winter to work on our business to help fund our trip indefinitely. We have savings to last another 3-4 years, but we don’t want to wait until we’re close to the red before we start earning a livable income.
We came up with 3 options for the long-term stay for various reasons:
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Edinburgh, Scotland
Each has its pros and cons, and we spend the last couple of weeks mulling it over and reading your excellent comments and advice.
Then, at the last minute another option came up: Housesitting all winter on the Isle of Wight in a 1940s bungalow with a cute little dog for company. Did you know that Dickens wrote David Copperfield on the Isle of Wight? It seemed like a great option for a winter of writing and work.
You guys gave us some great feedback on the options. Here are just a few:
- Rob called us out on wanting to stay in the UK because it was “safe” in terms of not having to speak another language or fit into another culture. Man, that was an accurate assessment! It is easy to want to stay where things are easy all the time, even if it is more expensive.
- Michelle and Paz and Joanne rightly stated that Buenos Aires will go up in price in a few years. Best to see it now while it is lower in price and our Spanish is fresh. We could become fluent!
- Peggy and Sandra advised us to go where we’ve never been to continue the excitement while we stay put. Fair point.
- Moonwaves sent us a link to a blog post about frangipani blossoms in Chiang Mai kept us daydreaming for days.
- Karen sent us a link to a great video about Thailand that made us want to move there tomorrow. Travel porn!
- Jody told us about a great yoga practice available in Thailand and gave us the idea to explore a series of classes on yoga or martial arts while we are settled down.
- Alison, Jody, Tranque, Kristin, Jen, Paz, Brenda, and Denise all gave excellent advice on living as an expat and digital nomad.
Really, we were blown away by all the comments and suggestions. And those of you who told us to go somewhere else – we’ve kept your advice in our trip planner and will use it in the future.
If you were a Scot you’d tell me to stop blethering now and get to it.
Our destination this fall and winter will be…
Stay tuned for more details on our trip-to-lifestyle transition as well as a very fun (and slightly scary) opportunity next week for you to issue us a challenge and possibly get one in return.
Thank you for your help in mapping out this next stage of our life. Stay tuned as we head back to England, then over to Belgium and Amsterdam this summer before embarking to…(sorry, you have to watch the video to find out!).