How to lose weight after 40. Get in shape fast. Lose belly fat in middle age.
These are the search terms dominating Google when it comes to health and fitness, even though we all know the basics:
Eat less, move more.
Easier said than done, right?
[Click on the blue bar at the top to listen to the podcast, and be sure to catch the rest of the behind-the-scenes series of what our uncluttered life looks like in our personal life, work, and money.]
Without the right motivation—a reason to make better choices, a goal to guide your actions—this simple instruction is too hard for most people to follow. People just can’t lose weight after 40 (which is why it is such a popular search term on Google), and because of that lack of energy and extra weight, they limit the experiences in their lives.
And we were no different.
Not too many years ago, we carried an extra 85 pounds (combined), and we had high blood pressure, aches and pains, fatigue, and a lackluster sex life because of it. We didn’t know how to lose weight after 40, before 40, or at any time in the foreseeable future. And we certainly weren’t living a Plan A Life.
We used a variety of mental gymnastics and logic-bending to convince ourselves we didn’t have a problem, though.
Why You Think You Can’t Lose Weight After 40
- Expanding waistline—it’s harder to maintain your weight after 30!
- Knee pain climbing stairs—bad knees run in my family.
- High blood pressure— job stress! once this project is over I’ll be okay.
- High blood sugar—too many sweets right before I got tested, but I’m normally a lot better.
- Less interest in sex—we’re busy! once things settle down we’ll get back to the romance.
These excuses were child’s play for a woman like me who’s been calling herself “big-boned” for a decades. At least, they were easier than the alternative, which was to lose weight and take care of ourselves.
What changed for our health was when we started making changes in our life, going after the Plan A Life we’d always wanted. We regained our interest in our health and well-being.
Why work to create the life of your dreams and then lack the energy to enjoy it?!
And we finally found out how to lose weight after 40, enjoy a life filled with energy and experience, and keep the weight off permanently
If you want the same thing—a body that can keep up with the life your heart and brain want to live—then this episode is for you.
You’ll Discover Why:
- Justifying our bad health to ourselves and each other was easy to do (a lot easier than doing something about it!)
- We didn’t make any changes for a very long time (maybe you have the same reasons?)
- Discovering the rewards made all the difference (because who wants to make changes for no reason?)
- Changing our identity helped change our bad habits (such a powerful connection between brain and body!)
- The “rules” we put in place made it easy to be healthy (because no one wants to make life harder than it has to be)
Resources to Help You Lose Weight and Regain Your Health
- Decisions Made Easy (put your health on autopilot and save the willpower for something else)
- 10 Ways to Add More Freedom into Your Life (tip: move every day)
- What to do when you’ve overdone it (because it will happen!)
- Why routine isn’t boring if you do it right
- Don’t forget to give your brain and body a rest day
- How to change your instant reaction to a healthy response
- How to get a good night’s sleep (we’re less hungry when we’re rested)
- Don’t be jealous of healthy people—learn from them!
Before and After Pics
As promised here we are in all our “before” glory (an extra 85 pounds and all)
And here we are today. Don’t we look happier?