This weekend I celebrated my 39th birthday and took some time to reflect upon my life to remember the moments (both good and bad) that brought me to this point. I realize a lot of wonderful things can be packed into 39 years…a lot of smiles and a fair share of tears, yet I do not always take the time to appreciate the past. It took each of those experiences to bring me to this moment of excitement and happiness. I sit here today happily married to an amazing woman with the closest friends I ever had, and preparing to pursue a lifetime of dreams this year.
With this being such a big year for us I decided to write up a summary of my life since college. To make it interesting I have used Twitter as a guide and gave myself a limit of no more that 140 characters per year. By creating this list I was forced not only to remember each year and what I did, but also how to identify the most important events from the year. This is the result:
- 1993 – graduated from Texas A&M University, took my dream job at Toys R Us following my dream to live the life of Tom Hanks in “Big”
- 1994 – moved to Dallas; learned retail sucks (curse you Tom Hanks); joined Software Spectrum; got engaged (engagement #1)
- 1995 – learned I was an idiot; broke off engagement; sad times ensue
- 1996 – determined through much experimentation that single life was much better than anticipated; promoted to Supervisor
- 1997 – met a woman; moved to Seattle; joined Microsoft (yes, the Evil Empire)
- 1998 – I forgot I am an idiot & got engaged (again…#2)
- 1999 – got married to wife #1 (using numbers should be a clue); honeymoon in Germany; left Microsoft, founded a company (cMeRun) & raised $15M; got my best friend (my dog Max)
- 2000 – moved to Boston; took company public; found out it snows a lot here
- 2001 – closed company; investors in jail (great story available for years to come); moved to Washington DC area
- 2002 – joined a company as CEO; moved to East Philadelphia (aka New Jersey)
- 2003 – sold company; got divorced; met amazing woman (Betsy); still living in East Philly (yes, it is still NJ)
- 2004 – got married (yes, again); honeymoon in Paris; moved to Boston (yes, again)
- 2005 – loving New England; became a Red Sox fan; went to Germany & UK
- 2006 – moved to Seattle; joined F5; went to Barcelona for vacation
- 2007 – enjoying wine and living in the city of Seattle; spent the holidays in San Francisco
- 2008 – launched Married with Luggage; joined Microsoft (again); vacation in Hawaii; started learning Spanish; traveled to Singapore and Indonesia
- 2009 – went to NFL Pro Bowl in Hawaii; started a WordPress development company (MWL Development); promoted to Director at Microsoft
- 2010 – sold our home and everything we own; sky-dived for the 1st time; counting down to trip around the world on Oct 1st…
Honestly, I could not imagine being happier with the path my life has taken and the peaks and valleys I have gone through to reach this moment. I cannot wait to see what my 40’s have to offer.
Take a few minutes to create your own Twitter life summary. Remember the good, and not so good, times. Have fun with the process as you reflect on what a wonderful ride it has been to reach this moment. Share it with others to let them get to know it, or share it here in the comments. Let me know your thoughts on your process.